ABE - Association of Building Engineers
ABE, The Association of Building Engineers, is the professional body for those specialising in the technology of building
AI - Approved Inspectors
AI, Approved Inspectors, are qualified and experienced private sector building control professionals and consultancies who can help developers, designers and contractors achieve Building Regulations approval.
ARLA - Association of Residential Letting Agents
ARLA, the Association of Residential Letting Agents, is the only professional self-regulating body to be solely concerned with lettings.
BBA - British Board of Agreement
BBA, the British Board of Agreement, is the UK’s major authority offering approval of construction products, systems and installers. Agrément Certificates are recognised by specifiers and other industry decision-makers as proof that the products covered by them have been impartially assessed, will allow compliance with Building Regulations to be achieved and will last for a defined period.
BCB - Building Control Bodies
BCB, Building Control Bodies, are the legal enforcers of building standards/regulations throughout England, Wales, Northern Ireland and Scotland.
BFCMA - British Flue and Chimney Manufacturers Association
BFCMA, The British Flue and Chimney Manufacturers Association, is a UK Trade Association for factory-made chimney products and works closely with Government, public bodies and other organisations to further the interest of the chimney & flue industry.
BRE - Building Research Establishment
BRE, The Building Research Establishment, Trust Companies, BRE and BRE Global, are world leading research, consultancy, training, testing and certification organisations delivering sustainability and innovation across the built environment and beyond.
BREDEM - Building Research Establishment Domestic Energy Model
BREDEM, The Building Research Establishment Domestic Energy Model, is a model for the calculation of the annual energy requirements of domestic buildings, and for the estimation of savings resulting from energy conservation measures.
BSD - Building Standards Division
BSD, Building Standards Division, Previously, SBS- Scottish Building Standards, and SBSA Scottish Building Standards Agency, is responsible for writing the Scottish building regulations.
BFRC - British Fenestration Rating Council
The BFRC, British Fenestration Rating Council, is the operation of a UK national rating system for the thermal performance of fenestration products. The rating system is recognised within building regulations throughout the UK.
CEA - Commercial Energy Assessor
A CEA, Commercial Energy Assessor, is an accredited energy assessor capable of producing Energy performance Certificates for non domestic buildings.
CHP - Combined Heat and Power
A CHP is a heating system which can also generate electricity.
CIBSE - Chartered Institution of Building Services Engineers
The CIBSE, Chartered Institution of Building Services Engineers, is the professional body that exists to support the Science, Art and Practice of building services engineering, by providing members and the public with information and education services.
CIAT - Chartered Institute of Architectural Technicians
CIAT, Chartered Institute of Architectural Technicians, represents professionals working and studying in the field of Architectural Technology.
CIOB - Chartered Institute of Building
The CIOB, Chartered Institute of Building, is a membership body for building professionals with anything concerning the management of the total building process.
CLG - Department for Communities and Local Government
The CLG is the government department in England and Wales responsible for amongst other things, Building Regulations, Housing, Planning, Urban Policies, Sustainable Communities and delivering EPCs.
CPD - Continuing Professional Development
CPD is a system which shows continuous professional learning throughout you professional career. Its is usually kept as a record of what additional learning you have completed post academic qualifications.
CPSU - Combined Primary Storage Unit
A CPSU is a single appliance that provides both space heating and domestic hot water. CPSUs contain a burner and a primary store with a capacity of over 70 litres.
CSHs - Code for Sustainable Homes
CSHs give an indication of the overall sustainability of a dwelling. CSHs differs from SAP Calculations by taking into account the type of materials used, water consumption and higher levels of building practice etc.
DEFRA - Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs
DEFRA is the department in England and Wales responsible for wide environmental issues and currently own the Standard Assessment Procedure (SAP)
DPC - Damp Proof Course
A DPC is a course of some impermeable material laid in the foundation walls of building near the ground to prevent dampness from rising into a building
DSM - Dynamic Simulation Model
DSM are systems which should be used on complex buildings instead of the SBEM to produce energy calculations for building regulation approval and EPCs.
DFPNI - Department of Finance and Personnel Northern Ireland
The DFPNI is the government department in Northern Ireland responsible for amongst other things Building Regulations and delivering Energy Performance Certificates.
ECF- Energy Cost Factor
The ECF is based on the cost of space and water heating within a property.
EIR - Environmental Impact Rating (CO2 emissions)
The EIR is displayed on an EPC and is the rating about the impact the home has on the environment. Better-rated homes should have less impact through carbon dioxide (CO2) emissions. A property that emits very little carbon would score an A and a more polluting property would score G.
EPBD - Energy Performance of Buildings Directive
The EPBD is an European directive that had to be enforced across all member states by the 4th of January 2009, which will amongst other things enforce the provision of Energy Performance Certificate (EPCs) when buildings are constructed, sold or rented.
EPC - Energy Performance Certificate
EPCs tell you how energy efficient a home is on a scale of A-G. The most efficient homes - which should have the lowest fuel bills - are in band A. The Certificate also tells you, on a scale of A-G, about the impact the home has on the environment. Better-rated homes should have less impact through carbon dioxide (CO2) emissions. The average property in the UK is in bands D-E for both ratings. The Certificate includes recommendations on ways to improve the home's energy efficiency to save you money and help the environment
EPR - Energy Performance Report
EPRs are EPCs which are not officially lodged in the Governments central database
EST - Energy Savings Trust
The EST are a non-profit organisation that provides free impartial advice on saving energy. Our advice can help you save money and fight climate change by reducing carbon dioxide emissions from your home.
DEA - Domestic Energy Assessor
A DEA is a trained and qualified individual who can assess existing domestic dwellings and produce EPCs for use in the sales and rented markets.
DEC - Display Energy Certificate
A DEC is an energy rating based on the actual energy use of a building, currently required in large public buildings in England & Wales and Northern Ireland.
DER - Dwelling (CO2) Emission Rate
The DER is calculated from SAP Software which is used for the purposes of compliance with building regulations. It is equal to the annual CO2 emissions per unit floor area for space heating, water heating, ventilation and lighting, less the emissions saved by energy generations technologies, expressed in kg/m2/year.
DIAG - Directive Implementation Advisory Group
The (EU) European Energy Performance of Buildings Directive (EPBD) Directive Implementation Advisory Group (DIAG) was established in 2002 to advise the UK Government on the energy performance of buildings and the implementation of the EPBD.
FAERO - Federation of Authorised Energy Rating Organisations
FAERO no longer in existence, but previously a confederation of approved SAP software providers (including Elmhurst Energy Systems) that encouraged and promoted the use of certified energy calculations.
GJ - Giga Joules
A joule is the derived unit of energy in the International System of Units, a gigajoule is 109Joule.
GSHP - Ground Source Heat Pumps
GSHPs make use of energy stored in the earth, which comes from solar radiation. Heat pumps take heat from one source and release it a higher temperature through a series of ground collectors, heat exchangers and the use of circulating fluid.
HBF - House Building Federation
HBF is a members body representing the home building industry in England and Wales.
HETAS - Heating Equipment Testing and Approval Scheme
HETAS is the official body recognised by government to approve solid fuel domestic heating appliances, fuels and services. Its work in Approving products covers boilers, cookers, open fires and stoves and room heaters.
HCR - Home Condition Report
A HCR is a voluntary survey which can be added to the HIP, if required; the HCR is a report on the physical condition of the property.
HEED - Home Energy Efficiency Database
HEED is a database tracking the level of domestic energy efficiency measures across the country.
HI - Home Inspector
A HI is a trained and qualified individual who can undertake a Home Condition Report (HCR) and Energy Performance Certificates (EPC).
HIP - Home Information Pack
HIPs sometimes called Seller's Packs, are provided before a property in England and Wales can be put on the open market for sale with vacant possession. The pack is a set of documents about the property: an Energy Performance Certificate, local authority searches, title documents, guarantees, etc.
HLP - Heat loss parameter
HLP, which is a value based on the external surface area, insulation (U value) of those surfaces and air-tightness of a dwelling and forms part of the SAP calculation.
ISBEM - Interface with Simplified Building Energy Model
An ISBEM is a freely available software tool used to determine the energy performance of non-domestic buildings (commercial buildings).
kWH - Kilowatt Hours
The kilowatt-hour is a convenient unit for electricity. For example using a 60 watt light bulb for one hour consumes 0.06 kilowatt hours of electricity.
LA - Local Authority
A LA is an administrative unit of local Government.
LABC - Local Authority Building Control
The LABC is a member organisation representing Local Authority Building Control Departments in England and Wales.
LEL - Low Energy Lighting
LEL is Lighting in building which has a low energy demand. These lights include compact fluorescent, fluorescent and to meet Building Regulations should not exceed 40 lumens per circuit watt.
LLL - Life Long Learning
LLL is exactly the same as CPD; a professional is expected to continue to learn throughout a career, post qualifications.
LPG - Liquid Petroleum Gas
Liquid Petroleum Gas is available to serve gas appliances in areas without mains gas. Requires a storage tank.
LZC - Low to Zero Carbon
LZC are energy sources which are increasingly being installed in buildings e.g. micro CHP, photovoltaic panels, solar panels and wind turbines (Also see LZT)
LZT - Low to Zero (Carbon) Technologies
LZT are energy sources which are increasingly being installed in buildings e.g. micro CHP, photovoltaic panels, solar panels and wind turbines (Also see LZC)
MEV - Mechanical Extract Ventilation
A MEV is a fan driven ventilation system which only extracts air from a building
MVHR - Mechanical Ventilation Heat Recovery
A MVHR system is a system of mechanical ventilation within a building that extracts internal air, but recycles the heat from the extracted air, back into the building.
NAEA - National Association of Estate Agents (Now NFOPP)
The NAEA is the is the UK's leading professional body for estate agency.
NCD - Newly Constructed Dwellings
A NCD is a new build dwelling where full SAP methodology applies rather than RdSAP.
NFOPP - National Federation of Property Professionals
The NFOPP is the Group name for a number of membership organisations that currently comprise, NAEA, ARLA and a number of other smaller groups.
NOS - National Occupational Standards
National Occupational Standards set out measurable performance outcomes to which an individual is expected to work in a given occupation. Developed by employers across the UK, NOS set out the skills, knowledge and understanding required to perform competently in the workplace.
NVQ - National Vocational Qualification
NVQs are vocational awards in England and Wales that are achieved through assessment and training. In Scotland they are known as Scottish Vocational Qualification (SVQ). They are practical qualifications based on being able to do a job. There are five levels of NVQ ranging from Level 1, which focuses on basic work activities, to Level 5 for senior management.
OCDEA - On Construction Domestic Energy Assessor
An OCDEA is a trained and qualified individual who can undertake building regulation calculations and produce EPCs for newly constructed dwellings.
OFTEC - Oil Firing Technical Association
The OFTEC is an oil heating and cooking trade body and works closely with Government, public bodies and other organisations to further the interest of the oil heating and cooking appliances
OR - Operational Rating
OR is the methodology to produce an energy calculation for Display Energy Certificates (DECs).
PEA - Predictive Energy Assessments
PEA are derived from SAP Calculations and are provided for any new dwelling that is to be marketed prior to its completion.
PI - Professional Indemnity
A PI is insurance that protects professional persons for sums they may have to pay as compensation to clients because of problems with work undertaken.
PIV - Positive Input Ventilation
A PIV is a fan system by which air is forced into a building, at a low level, usually in domestic situations this air is taken from the warm air in a loft space
PL - Public Liability
PL is insurance that covers against loss, or of damage to, third party property, or persons, arising from the activities of a business.
PV - PhotoVoltaics
PV are modules which convert sunlight directly into DC electricity and can be integrated into buildings.
Pressure Testing
Pressure Tests detect uncontrolled air leakage paths within the external envelope of the dwelling and the process is required in England, Wales and Northern Ireland to comply with Building Regulations.
QCA-Qualifications and Curriculum Authority
QCA work closely with government and other agencies to they maintain and develop the national curriculum and associated assessments, tests and examinations.
RIBA-Royal Institute of British Architects
The RIBA is the UK body for architecture and the architectural profession. They work with government to improve the design quality of public buildings, new homes and new communities.
RICS - Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors
RICS is a professional body and its membership represents the property profession, giving support an advice on a diverse range of land, property, construction and related environmental issues.
RDSAP - Reduced Data Standard Assessment Procedure
Reduced Data SAP has been developed by the government for use in existing dwellings based on a site survey of the property, when the complete data set for a SAP calculation is not available.
RRN - Report Reference Number
A RRN is the unique reference number for each individual Energy Performance Certificate produced when lodged in the central register.
RSL - Registered Social Landlord
The ESL are Government-funded not-for-profit organisations that that provide affordable housing. They include housing associations, trusts and co-operatives, and work with local authorities to provide homes for people in housing need.
RTPI - Royal Town Planning Institute
The RTPI is a professional body representing town planners.
SAP - Standard Assessment Procedure
SAP is the UK Government's recommended method system for measuring the energy rating of residential dwellings. The first version was published in 1995, to be replaced by newer versions in 1998, 2001 and 2005. It calculates the typical annual energy costs for space and water heating, and, from 2005, lighting. The CO2 emissions are also calculated. SAP 2005 has been used as the basis for checking new dwellings for compliance with building regulations in the United Kingdom requiring the conservation of fuel and power.
SBEM - Simplified Building Energy Model
The SBEM is the methodology used to determine the energy performance of non-domestic buildings (often referred to as commercial buildings)
SEDBUK - Seasonal Efficiency of Domestic Boilers in the UK
The SEDBUK is a national database which gives efficiencies of boilers.
SFP - Specific Fan Power
A SFP is used to calculate the annual energy use of fans and where applicable, the gains to the building from the fans for use within energy calculations
SPF- Seasonal Performance Factors
The SPF is the ratio of useful energy output of a device to the energy input, averaged over an entire heating season.
TER - Target (CO2) Emission Rate
The TER is calculated from SAP Software which is used for compliance with building regulations. It is a notional figure expressed in kg/m2/year which sets the maximum permitted emissions for an individual dwelling, taking into account the previous building regulations, a betterment factor (currently 20%) set by the Government and fuel factor.
TFA - Treated Floor Area
For energy calculations the TFA is the total of all the floors including main building and any extensions if present.
TMP - Thermal Mass Parameter
A TMP is an overall figure for the thermal mass of a building; which is derived from the admittance of individual elements within the building.
TRV- Thermostatic Radiator Valve
TRV are placed on radiators and sense room temperature and can be adjusted by the householder to their required comfort temperature.
UPRN - Unique Property Reference Number
The UPRN is when each building in the UK is given a property reference number by the government which is unique to that property.
VRQ - Vocationally Related Qualification
A VRQ is similar to an NVQ in that it is work related and practical, developing your employment skills. A VRQ focuses on assessing and recognising what you know and how well you understand it. It will focus on one industry and cover a range of related subjects